Sunday, May 18, 2008

Top 5 Songs







It was suggested that I put out more of the "TOP 5" lists so here goes. What are your 5 favorite songs. Not bands, singers, etc, but songs. I think we can easily do favorite bands but songs are little different because you have to think about not only the sound but also lyrics.
Here are mine:
1. Never Let Me Down Again-Depeche Mode. Yep, this is actually my favorite song of all time. It is a total 80s New Wave song and I loved Depeche Mode when I was in junior high.
2. Two Step-Dave Matthews Band. You all know I love Dave Matthews Band and this is probably my favorite song of theirs. It has one of my favorite lines in a song, "Celebrate we will because life is short but sweet for certain". It is about making it through this world and relying on others love and support to get you through it.
3. Clocks-Coldplay. My other favorite is Coldplay and this is the song that really got me interested in them. The use of the piano throughout the song is so powerful. I can listen to this song over and over.
4. You Better Go Now-Billie Holiday. One of my other favorite movies is called Rocket Gibraltar and all the songs in the film are Billie Holiday. When I watched this movie it was the first time I had heard Billie Holiday and I fell right in love with her voice.
5. Out of Control (State of Emotion)-Kenna. This is a song that I just discovered this year and I love it. It is about how sometimes you have so much going on in your life you feel like you head is going to explode. I think we all have those moments.

Honorable Mention-Idaho by Josh Ritter. This is my friend from high school and he is amazing. Plus the song is about how great Idaho is and needing to get home to Idaho so of course I love it.

So, your turn. Oh, and you don't have to explain them like I did. I just thought I would give you some insight.
See you on Tuesday!

17 comments:

Major said...

Sorry if this is hard to read. I was having a hard time with the images.

Joe Jones said...

i know those are your real top 5, youre a straight up g deep down

Francis said...

This is tough. I like a lot of songs. I'll keep it fairly modern though

1.) The General- Dispatch
I really like this song. I can sing it and play it, and loving this song makes it never get old. When I pick up a guitar, this is one of the first songs I'll play
2.) Hope- Jack Johnson
Puts a spring in my step.
3.) She Moves In Her Own Way- The Kooks
I love the chorus of this song.
4.) Garden Grove- Sublime
Just a classic Sublime song that I can listen to over and over again.
5.) Somewhere Over The Rainbow- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Just a very relaxing song.

Jake Viola said...

1. Hey there Delilah
2." "
3.Online
4. Imagine
5. SHe thinks my Tractor's Sexy

jio said...

Jake, why isn't Aladdin in there somewhere?

Major said...

I love the Kooks and I think She Moves In Her Own Way is my favorite. Jake-No 'My Heart Will Go On'? Imagine is a great song though!
And yes Joe, you are right these are not my real top 5. The song titles of my real ones are a bit.....sensitive.

Francis said...

Jeez Major, you're so gangster. We called you a lot. Sorry :/

Oh, and I've been asking people a question. If I were to sing "Naïve" by the Kooks at the next coffee house, would I sing with a British accent or not? Mark believes it just can't be done without it.

jio said...

This is in no order.

1. Creep- Radiohead
A simple, but wonderful song that really exemplifies Radiohead's style.

2. Southern Man- Neil Young
Some of Neil Young's greatest guitar work here.

3. Death on Two Legs- Queen
A little known Queen song that screams "rock."

4. Overture 1928- Dream Theater
What I consider to be the pinnacle of progressive metal instrumental virtuosity.

5. I Am the Walrus- The Beatles
My anti-drug.

Jake Viola said...

Is the time set to Pacific on this site. BTW IMHO @TEOTD I <3 Aladdin and MHWGO but AFIAA AWTTW IMPOV those 5 HNTW are awsum. OMG!!!

Joe Jones said...

Um Seany, where is uh Bob Dylan?

jio said...

wow jake, you're cool.

jio said...

I thought Bob Dylan was just a given on everybody's list :)

Anonymous said...

Original Songs, Unoriginal Artists
1. Dispatch-Two Coins Nice, easy to listen to song that has an excellent guitar and a great overall sound.
2. Sublime-What I Got My favorite of Sublime's many excellent songs because of the mix of lighter and softer sounds, with fun lyrics.
3. Brand New-Seventy Times 7 My very angry kinda wanna kill something song.
4. The Temptations-My Girl No explanation necessary.
5. Jimmy Eat World-Hear You Me Yes, this is my emo song.

jio said...

Touching me, touching you
Sweeeet Caroline . . .

Francis said...

Mark:
6.) Louis Armstrong- Wonderful World Because he sings almost as good as I.

Anonymous said...

actually FMan, that would be closer to 2,500,000 because of that particular car ride

Major said...

Sean-I really like Creep too. I like Radiohead but I definitely have to be in the right mood to listen to them. I love your comment about I am the Walrus. Very funny.
Mark-The Temptations. Very nice. I have never heard your emo song. I will have to look for it.